Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chemo Round 4

I am happy to say that I am halfway through treatment #4, and in just over a month it will be time for my last session of chemo! So far treatments 1 and 3 have been the worst but 2 and 4 were a little easier. Days 2-5 are still the worst of each cycle but by day 6 I am for the most part feeling back to normal. I would love to have my energy back but the fatigue really isn't as bad as I thought it would be by now.  I am still exercising every day and most of the time I am walking 3 miles, plus some short pilates workouts and other toning exercises.



My fingernails are now numb most of the time and my toes get numb at least once a day. One of my toenails has become very dark and there is a good chance it will fall off. My thumb and index fingernails have been painful and very sensitive, which combined with the numbness has become extremely annoying. Right now I would love more than anything for my hands to just feel normal again! I have also developed some sort of rash on the right side of my face and my left eye has been tearing up frequently for the past two days.

One thing that I haven't mentioned yet is that chemo has officially made me menopausal. When I stopped having periods I originally thought it was because of my IUD. I had my hormone levels checked to confirm and they were definitely in the menopausal range. Because I am so young this will most likely be temporary and should resolve within 6 months to a year from my last treatment. I have been getting very warm at night lately but fortunately haven't had a single hot flash. For now I am just thankful for no periods!

I briefly want to talk about Robin Roberts, the co-anchor of Good Morning America. Many of you probably heard the news a few weeks ago that she was diagnosed with something called Myelodysplastic Syndrome. You can click on the link to learn more about it. She had chemotherapy for breast cancer several years ago and has developed MDS as a result of that. In order to treat the MDS she now has to do another course of chemotherapy followed by a bone marrow transplant. It is scary and doesn't happen often, but I too will be at risk for developing MDS. Naturally I'll be following her story very closely!

I hope you all have a fantastic Fourth of July holiday! Derek and I plan on spending it with our families and some close friends this weekend.

The countdown is on.....31 days!

Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen Twin Cities 3-Day

No comments:

Post a Comment