Monday, July 23, 2012

Fear and Frustration

As I write this post I have a lot of different emotions and thoughts running through my head.

Right now I should be thrilled that my last round of chemo is only a few days away, but that joy is currently being overshadowed with fear and frustration.

If you read my last post you know that my second echocardiogram showed a growing pericardial effusion that I needed to meet with a cardiologist to discuss. Well I had that appointment on Friday afternoon. He said that the fluid is most likely caused by inflammation, but there is a small chance that it could be related to a spread of the cancer. He wants to be sure, so he recommended that I have a pericardiocentesis. This is a procedure done in the cath lab under conscious sedation. A needle will be inserted into the sac surrounding my heart and the fluid will be drained and sent to the lab for analysis. It is scheduled for Wednesday morning.

I won't lie, I am very nervous about the procedure. I'm also incredibly nervous about the results. I know the odds are that it is not related to a spread of the cancer, but that doesn't always mean much to me anymore since the odds were that my breast lump wasn't cancer either. I guess I just wasn't expecting to have to worry about something like this so soon. I will definitely keep you all posted.

Since my last treatment I have overall been doing ok. Last Thursday I went in to be evaluated for a blood clot. I developed an area on the back of my calf that was painful, red, and warm. Those are all symptoms of a clot, but fortunately it ended up being cellulitis (an infection of the skin). I have been on an antibiotic and the symptoms have been resolving. I have also developed an infected fingernail for which the antibiotic seems to be helping as well.

I am still trying to stay hopeful and positive about everything, but lately it has been more difficult. I am really just frustrated with being a patient. I have had at least one appointment for something every single week since the end of February. Prior to this I have always been pretty healthy, so the past 5 months have been quite a change.

I am just really ready to be done.


Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen Twin Cities 3-Day

6 comments:

  1. Keep your head up Aimee! We're sending all the positive energy we have your way. We love you and are here for you and Derek if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to pray for you!!! You are an amazing woman! Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you!!! XOXO
    Christie B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee, Good luck with the procedure! We are thinking of you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aimee, I think those feelings are normal and you should just let them happen! You are unbelievably strong and I adore you for that. I' m sure there will soon be better thoughts and feelings. Big hug from your German friend.....Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the fantastic work! You are doing amazing!! I will be waiting for an update :) Thoughts and prayers are being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a strong and brave women. You are beating the odds and I hope that continues. Hopefully all of your symptoms will begin to subside sooner rather than later and you and Derek can get back to a normal life. You are truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete