Sunday, April 1, 2012

Two Weeks Out and Feeling Great

March 28, 2012:

It has now officially been two weeks since my surgery, and I really am feeling great. I have been continuing to get better and better every day, and have even started getting in some regular exercise again. I am nowhere near my level of activity prior to surgery, but  I have been walking (outside and on the treadmill), and getting in some time on the elliptical as well. The most exercise I can do is usually 20 minutes at a time, but I'm hoping to increase that to 30 minutes by the end of next week.

I had a lot of visitors last weekend and I loved seeing everyone! By Sunday night I was completely exhausted, but it was all worth it.

Monday afternoon I had a post-op appointment with my breast surgeon, and she was very pleased with how I have been healing. I don't have to see her again until the end of September (unless any issues arise).

Today has probably been the best day so far, mainly because I just got home from an appointment with my plastic surgeon and I no longer have my drains! I was worried that it would be painful to have them removed, but really it was more awkward than anything else. I feel a little soreness on the left side but that's about it. I am thrilled to not have to carry them around in a pouch anymore!

Today was also my first "fill" with my plastic surgeon. At the time of surgery he placed 170cc's in each tissue expander. During the fills he uses a device to find the port in each expander, then places a small needle through the port. The needle is attached to a small catheter, which in turn is attached to a syringe. He put an additional 50cc's of saline in each side, bringing my total to 220. I will go back again every week and he will continue to fill until I am happy with the size of the expansion. I had heard that this process was very uncomfortable because of the stretching of the skin, but it really wasn't. It was definitely a very strange sensation, and my chest feels a little tighter now, but I have no pain!

Tomorrow will be my first day back at work and I am really looking forward to it. I will work half days until next Wednesday, and then I will finish next week by working 3/4 days (until 3pm), then the following week I will jump back into my regular schedule. I think I will definitely be ready for naps in the afternoon, but I am glad to have the opportunity to gradually ease back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment